This movement started in 2017, when founder Maliza Booysen started her own business and pretty quickly realised that it is not all sunshine and roses like motivational speakers made it out to be.
Entrepreneurship is not glitz and glamour – it is about doing everything in your business, and learning how to manage that after a while. It is learning to deal with financial crises, how to celebrate the good time – and even the bad. You work until the early hours of the morning, and you don’t get to have sick days, or days off. Holidays? What is a holiday?!
And what do you even do if you don’t have an MBA? You just have a skill?!
That, is why FENSA (Female Entrepreneur Network South Africa) was formed. FENSA was the first format of this group, and was rebranded to FEC – Female Entrepreneur Collective.
Why is it called Female Entrepreneur Collective?
It is called a collective, because we all have the same goal – success. Be it to put food on the table or to make life a lot easier. We all want to succeed, and at FEC we do this collectively.
Sometimes knowing what you stand for, comes with knowing what you stand opposed to.
- We do not believe that our businesses define us, but rather that they are a complimentary part of our lives.
- We believe in empowering each other, and not creating shadows over each others flowers.
- Here we support each other – not by advertising to each other, but supporting each other with knowledge, advice and mutual respect for a mutual goal.
- Here we chase goals, not awards.
- We strive for a better future for ourselves, for our families and for our communities.
- Here – we succeed.
How Was Female Entrepreneur Collective Started?
Female Entrepreneur Collective started out small, with a few requests a day. Before we knew it we were getting 50 to a 100 requests to join per day, and entrepreneurs with the same questions asked to join. Be it about tax, marketing, digital and social media, coaching, business registration and even banking. Sales and procurement and growth. All the questions every entrepreneur has when they start out… and even years down the line.
Now, FENSA is called FEC – Female Entrepreneur Collective.
Why Female Entrepreneur Collective?
Because that is what we are. We are a collective that makes the whole better. The women of South Africa are the backbone of our nation. The women who never back down.
This site is inspired by them, by you.
Now we have a collective place where you can:
- share and read about business insights via our contributor news section.
- network with other entrepreneurs online in our own PRIVATE social network.
- create your own online store, FREE of charge, to sell your goods in the FEC marketplace called eTailer.
- add your businesses to the Female Entrepreneur Collective Business Directory
- add your events to the Female Entrepreneur Collective events section or find out what’s coming up in your area
- and more being added monthly as we grow.
So please, join us. This platform has been put together with South African female entrepreneurs in mind. Perhaps one day… we’ll go global.
If you need assistance, advice, guidance with your business, or just to get in touch, be sure to visit our contact page.
I look forward to networking with you and growing your business with you,